5.03 - Written in the Stars

View previous topic View next topic Go down

5.03 - Written in the Stars

Post by Admin on Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:31 am

Luke and Lorelai go on their official first date at a restaurant owned by old friends of Luke's parents. Luke reminds Lorelai of how they met, shows her a horoscope she gave him for good luck that he's kept in his wallet, and assures her that he intends to go the distance with her. Lorelai spends the night at Luke's place; in the morning, she goes down to the diner to get coffee, and the breakfast crowd sees her wearing only Luke's shirt. There's surprisingly little gossip about Luke and Lorelai until the next town meeting, where Taylor uses charts to show how disastrous a breakup between them would be for Stars Hollow. Meanwhile: Rory meets a rich Yale student named Logan and chews him out for being rude to her friend Marty; Paris holds a wake for Asher that all the guests assume is a keg party with a weird theme; and Emily freaks out when she discovers that Richard has a social life she doesn't know about, so she invades Rory's dorm during the wake.

EPISODE SUMMARY FROM: www.TV.com
Admin
Admin

Number of posts : 213
Registration date : 2008-01-26

View user profile http://gilmoregirlsland.justgoo.com

Back to top Go down

Written in the Stars

Post by lukelorelaifan on Sun Feb 10, 2008 10:24 pm

YESSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!! that was my immediate reaction to WiTS. it's my favorite/most watched episode and i lovelovelove Luke and Lorelai in it. there are so many things, i don't know where to start. i guess with the first scene. i actually really like this one even though it'sthe first of many of the the all too infamous pool house before-dinner drinks. one of my favorite quotes comes from this. actually two. there's the whole butler/bartender/valet/geisha discussion and there's also when lorelai says after all, heather has two mommies. i've always wanted to get that book just because it was mentioned here but i can't seem to find it anywhere.... ha ha.

ok getting past mariah carrey and patsy cline, i love the luke and lorelai flirting scene. it's so awkward, rightfully so since it IS, after all, the beginning of a relationship, and still so incredibly sweet. i love that luke can flirt. it's a side of him we haven't really seen until now. at least not so in-your-face "this is flirting!" (i also totally agree with lorelai about the word potty. sure it may not be completely interchangeable with bathroom, but it's pretty close. and since we rarely use chamber pots, which for those not in the know is where the word potty came from, potty isn't totally contextually correct unless your plumbing happens to be on the fritz, so potty should be abolished, stoned, locked up with the key safely hidden under a turtle.) anyway.... back to luke and lorelai. i love how luke is still "with" the banter lorelai constantly throws at him. he seems to hold his own just fine. plus, i've always wanted to see luke do the chicken dance. ah if only he could shake that nice-loking butt of his...

i, too, have wondered about luke's intentions. i figure that's with lorelai's "glass slippers, backwards baseball cap...and nothing else" comment (yes i know it was rory who said and nothing else but lorelai agreed so she may as well have said it) that lorelai figured she would be spending the night with luke. i figure luke assumes the same because they are such close friends that they don't really need to do the whole first date, wait three days, second date, formal third date, etc. thing. they can get straight to the good stuff, so to speak. they don't really need to get to know each other. at least not that much anyway, since they have known each other for eight years. sure there's always going to be something new to learn (ie. sniffy's and champagne) but they know enough to know they're in love. or at least getting there.

that brings me to something else. were luke and lorelai in love before they even kissed? it's hard to say. especially with the loose definition and iffy questions that go with the word love. i believe love is that mutual understanding, infatuation, and trust and luke and lorelai have had something like that for years without even realizing it. so i think they were in love. for many years. it probably happened sometime between when lorelai stopped calling him duke and that fateful day lorelai flew into the diner and begged luke for coffee, calling him an angel. he would do anything for her and she would do anything for him, should the opportunity arise.

their date. ABsolutely FABulous, sweetie darling. ABsolutely. (sorry, a little AB FAB reference for you) Maisy and Bud are so cute. the typical parental-esque, embarrassing friends. the back of the menu is cute and sweet until sniffy dies. that makes me sad. probably because i'm a crazy animal lover. luke's story. oh, luke luke luke. he's adorable. i seriously want to marry luke because of the horoscope. if only he were real... this is so typical luke/lorelai. luke's being uncharacteristically open and serious and lorelai tries to break that serious tension-like moment with silliness. it's not bad or wrong. just who they are. oh and luke being all in. i melt!!!!

that night is also incredibly sweet. he still, even though their entire relationship has changed, knows exactly who she is and expects her next move with the cd list. but before that when lorelai says that she's his ava gardner, i totally agree. ole blue eyes pines for this beautiful woman who's always in the limelight, just waiting for the day and, for luke, it comes. it's, in lorelai's words, a real live love story. we all watched them fall in love, or at least watched their little love evolve into something so incredible.

and the next morning. i love the floorshow. i believe that is my desktop right now. i love it. coffee-craving lorelai stumbles into the diner, half-dressed........in luke's shirt. i bow down to you, amy. this was a fantastic scene. and it really captures the attitude of the townies. look at the scene before them then go back to breakfast like nothing ever happened and only throw in their two cents at the town meeting.

speaking of which... that was another great scene. we not only get gypsy/andrew and luke/talyor banter, but we get to see luke defend his new relationship publicly and without doubt. he really is all in. as if we had any doubt about luke's honesty with lorelai on their date.

ok i know i skipped the liz taylor richard burton phone call, but any questions that may have arose from that were answered at the town meeting. well except whether luke was serious when he said he'd get drunk and lorelai'd gain five-hundred pounds and they'd give it another go...

non-L/L stuff-

poor paris. it has to be hard losing someone like that -- so suddenly. as far as paris freak-outs go, however that one was about a 3 on the Richter scale. funny quotes, though.

as for logan...eh. this was definitely not the best side of him. i thought he was pretty much, as rory would say, a jerk, ass, arrogant, inconsiderate, mindless, fratboy, lowlife, buttfaced miscreant. i do like him in later episodes, though. just not that side of him.

and rory not knowing whether she has a boyfriend. i find that really cute, her still being so new to the dating world and not really sure where she stands. it's just so innocent.

emily freaking out. that's all i have to say. hi.lar.i.ous. the call to lorelai and the unexpected drop-in at the wake. it's just so...emily.

and we can't forget about our naked friend, marty. his whole uncle being his dad and his "dad" being relieved fiasco is just the sort of thing that makes gilmore girls great. that sidebar drama, that, unless you pay attention, you miss. there's just so much going on. it's like woodstock. so much to do, see, think about, dwell on, and mull over. it's fantastic.
lukelorelaifan

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2008-02-10

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 5.03 - Written in the Stars

Post by marglo on Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:16 am

i was so happy when dean and rory got back together!! Very Happy
marglo

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2009-01-02

View user profile